The Department of Neurobiology would like to welcome our new Assistant Chair, Jonathan Freaney, PhD. Jonathan received his Bachelors of Science in Biology at Loyola University in 2008 and graduated from Northwestern University in 2013, receiving his PhD. in Biological and Biomedical Sciences. His honors and awards include:
• (2007-2008) Recipient of the Spina Scholarship for Undergraduate Research
• (2006-2007) Recipient of the National SMART Grant
• (2004-2008) Recipient of the Damen Scholarship
• (2012) Recipient of the Keystone Symposia Future of Science Fund Scholarship
• (2012) Recipient of the Katten Muchin Rosenman Travel Scholarship
• (2011-2012) Recipient of the Dr. John N. Nicholson Fellowship
• (2011) Recipient of the Malkin Scholars Fellowship
• (2010) Recipient of the Neil Welker IBiS Teaching Assistant Excellence Award
He has been published in both the journals Cell Reports and PLOS Biology.
In addition to his academic coursework, Jonathan has also worked in mentorship and leadership capacities, serving as Director of the NU-NW STEM Mentorship program, member of the One-Book-One-Northwestern Planning Committee, Founder/Director of NU/LMSA STEM Mentorship, and Director of Science and Education Outreach for the Union League Boys’ and Girls’ Club.
Please join us in welcoming our new Assistant Chair today (March 31) at 4:00 PM in the main lobby on the Second Floor of Hogan – cake will be served.